Sunday, April 13, 2014

bikini girl tips n tricks: long hair, don't care


Now, I don't think my hair has looked like it does in the photo posted above since high school!
But thanks to coconut oil and a plant based diet
(lots of fruits and veggies, no meat, minimal dairy, minimal gluten)
I get to rock my mane (and eyelashes too) au naturale and said goodbye
to my hair extensions that I have used over past years as a crutch to add volume and fullness.

Let me start out by saying I have pretty much stick straight hair naturally
(a phenomenon since my mom's head is full of the cutest tight little curls)
and I am fortunate to have the best hair stylist and colorist in the whole world,
Angelica now at David Roberts Salon, she will hate for me to admit this but
I only get my hair highlighted once a year.
I am already super blonde naturally
so I like when the color grows out naturally also through out the year
and eventually looks like some sort of ombré ;)

My longhaired best friend there - Tamara, is my partner in crime,
and when we're on the road she is my hair stylist. This girl can get the job done!
Here are a few of our hair tips and tricks…

STIMULATE YOUR SCALP
After I get out of the shower I douse my wet hair with Pure Shine Spray-It Curly (a drugstore gem)
and wrap it up in a bun. After my hair dries a bit naturally, I then smooth Moroccan Oil Light
through my strands, this is my addiction (and I swear I own every product from that site)!
Followed by a good gentle run through with a wide tooth comb.
After my hair is completely dried, I'll use a paddle brush whenever I feel the need.
For some extra stimulation, I'll use one of those crazy looking, but feel-so-good head massagers 
while I'm winding down at night or watching TV.



EMBRACE MESSY HAIR
On a day-to-day basis, I skip using a blow dryer and any heat tools entirely
and just do my best to maximize on natural texture.
During the week my MO is definitely to "embrace messy hair" ;)
I like to rock my mane down and long, I never use elastic ponies unless I'm going to the gym.
On a trip to Key West a couple years ago, I met a Brazilian girl who taught me
how to wrap and tie my hair in a "Brazilian Bun" that didn't require any hardware what-so-ever
and that is what I do if I need to get my hair out of my face when I'm not working out.



COCONUT OIL
This stuff is magic and we use it here at The Bikini House for so many things.
We have to purchase our Nutiva Coconut Oil from Costco because we go through it so quickly!
Make sure you purchase a Coconut Oil that is Raw, Organic, Virgin/Extra Virgin and Unrefined.
HAIR MASK
To get long, thick, super soft hair:
massage organic coconut oil in your hair at least 2 times a week and leave it in over night
and wash out with shampoo in the morning.
Or what Tamara likes to do sometimes is cover her strands in coconut oil
and bun it up before our daily trip to the gym,
and let it set in while she's working up a sweat. It's all about multi-tasking;)
Do this until hair is growing and healthy (sans split ends) and reduce to only 2-4 times a month.
INGESTION
Recently, Tamara has got me into ingesting coconut oil. Yup, a spoonful a day!
Take the time to research this and you will see the on slew of health benefits.
We also started adding a tablespoon of Coconut Oil into our Glowing Green Smoothies
(basic recipe included in The Beauty Detox Solution) each morning.
Now what I say now may be a bit controversial, but I am a firm believer in not eating food after 4pm.
So now what I've started to do is I like to think of just my spoonful of Coconut Oil as my "dinner"
and scoop me some sweet, sweet Coconut Oil sometime between 8pm -10pm every night.
I know the thought of this can make someone gag, but honestly it is not that bad.


DIET AND A GOOD VITAMIN
They say that if we eat a proper, well balanced diet – very little vitamins and supplements are needed.
However, I'm not perfect so I do take a
Nature's Bounty Extra Strength Hair, Skin, Nail Vitamin infused with Argan Oil
(we purchase ours from Costco) daily. Since we are on the subject of diet,
we purchased The Beauty Detox Solution by Kimberly Snyder back when it was published in 2011
and it changed our lives here at the bikini house and the way we thought about food.
I highly suggest this read.

For me, natural beauty and sexiness all comes from and starts within. If you treat your body right,
fill it with the proper nutrients, a healthy diet, a lot of water, use good moisturizers and conditioners
on a consistent basis, get in a good sweat and keep your center with meditation and positive thoughts
– the natural beauty within you is bound to radiate outward:)

I can't wait to continue to share many more bikini girl tips, tricks and photos with you all on here
and also on @crispyamilehigh on Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment